Beautiful nature, beautiful parks, and beautiful Palace, which will soon crumble into dust. Happened here a wonderful fairy tale of Cinderella, departments, and here a terrible thing. I invite you to read about an abandoned Palace in Kopicach.
We begin, however, from the village of Kopice, because it also requires a brief mention. Located in the district of Brest region history goes back to 1360, when it belonged to family von Borsnitz. Almost a hundred years later (1450 a year) passes into the possession of the family von Beess, and the subsequent eighty years falls into the Canon of the Cathedral of the Wroclaw - Baltzazara background Neckern. Then again passes from hand to hand, but the exact date is not know passed through John Henry Heymann, and von Rosenthal and Gotfryda background Spaetgen, until finally, in 1751 hits in the Silesian noble family von Sierstorpff. Then it will be built here, the headquarters of the knightly family, where the architect was John Rudolph.
After more than a hundred years the hotel with the whole village zakupują Hans Ulrich von Schaffgotsch and Joanna Grycik von Schomberg-Godulla. The castle will be rebuilt again, this time, according to the plans of the wrocław architect, Karl Lüdecke and Constantine Heidenreicha from the village of Kopice. It was rebuilt in neo-Gothic style, also adding the elements of Neorenaissance. The Palace quickly became known nationwide for its magnificence. But before it comes to that, we have a story to tell.
Johanna Schaffgotsch was born 29 APR 1842 in poręba (it is currently a district of Zabrze) in conventional, rural cabin. Her father, John, and mother, Antonia, was very poor, the Silesian family of which there are many. Ian worked at the plant for the production of zinc, which belonged to Charles Godula - one of the richest men in Silesia. Anthony also worked for him, but as a servant. Himself "the King of Zinc", as they called Godulę, all his property amassed through hard work. Was not he also no family, no heir.
Father of Joan Schaffgotsch died very quickly that her mother was forced to take his daughter to work. Legend says that the little Joanna one day, without reverence or fear interfere with his master at work in the office and he was surprised and emotional that he decided to look after the baby. Since she lived in the house of Charles Godula in the Ore, where she was her tutor. Godula got sick in April, 1848, and went to Wroclaw for the treatment, taking with him the beautiful Schaffgotsch. The businessman died there, but a day earlier made before the Commission court the will which was made by his lawyer Maximilian, Schefflera.
In the will it was Karl Godulla all his possessions gave up six Joasi. Thus, the child odziedziczyło galmanu four mines, six coal mines and four earthly estate - about 70 000 field morgue and mortuary 3500 forest. The Covenant became a sensation, and Joanna dubbed the "Silesian Cinderella".
However, this was not the end of the story. This turn of Affairs did not like the distant family Godoli, who tried to deny the will. When this failed, the girl not only słano threats, but also tried to kill her. To avoid this, the child hid in the convent of the Ursulines in wrocław. When it podrosła, settled a former adviser to Godoli, Maximilian Scheffler, who managed Joan to arrange a knighthood, she got it, she's from the Prussian king Friedrich Wilhelm IV. It also received a new name: Gryczik von Schomberg-Godulla.
While in wrocław, the Countess met a young nobleman Hans Ulrich Schaffgotsch, who was born in 1831 and came from a very old family who settled in Silesia in the thirteenth century (and exactly in Calico, near the city of Jelenia góra). In 1858, their wedding took place - Jeanne she was 16, and Hans 27 years. The marriage is put an end to the inheritance problem. It was also especially good for of count Schaffgotsch, because he had not inherited the family rights - had only a knighthood and the military rank of Lieutenant of hussars. The young couple settled in Wroclaw, later, and in particular the Palace Kopicach, which was repaired. Joanna Gryczik von Schomberg-Godulla, despite niskego birth, great radziłą own "salons". She had four children who pozawierały marriage Beskid families aristocrats.
Marriage radziło also in business in 1905, keeping pace with the times, gave the family business a limited liability company under the name "Gräflich Schaffgotsche Werke" (the capital of 50 million marks). The company's management Board was: in the street of Gartenstrasse 27, currently 4 of the Warsaw Insurgents. The Countess during his life, due to opportunities in numerous companies, pomnożyła odziecziczony the property seven times. Thanks to her generosity was built in Upper Silesia many schools, churches and orphanage. Jeanne died in 1910, and five years later died and her husband. Buried them in Kopicach, in the mausoleum next to the parish Church.
The Palace itself is in Kopicach called the "water Palace" because it was surrounded by three large ponds. Had great, sześćdziesięcio ha Park, lots of statues and an amazing collection of images. There are also hunting trophies, a collection of armor and rare books. The castle was visited by the richest and most famous aristocratic families from all over Europe. Played here, politicians, princes, artists and warlords. The castle belonged to the Schaffgotsch family until 1945 when the second world war changed everything..
Unfortunately, starts sadder part of the story, which did not allow to breathe hrabinie Gryczik von Schomberg-Godulla. The Palace, strangely enough, survived world war II without any loss or damage. However, in 1945 splądrowano destroyed the mausoleum and the sarcophagi. The stories of local residents from their graves pulled the mummified corpses Urlicha and Joan, after which the joke put them in front of a local tavern, on bikes.. they Stood there for a while, and then threw them in przypałacowego Park, where it long lay. Later it was seen swimming in the Palace moat. Only much later were buried in a common grave near the former mausoleum.
The Palace has since been repeatedly okradany - first the red Army, then UB, then for various other looters. Until 1956 they learned from him everything that had some value, after which the castle was set on fire to cover his tracks of theft. Beautiful colossus collapsed. From this time comes the long period of destruction of the monument, mostly local. One told me as he was a contemporary of odkuwania one of the fireplaces and the removal and that the local people used the bricks from the Palace for personal purposes. Currently, the object is abandoned and what's left of it, seen in the photos below. Very, very sorry.