The monastery of Corcomroe (Irish: Mainistir Chorca Modh Ruadh) Cistercian Abbey, built in the XIII century. Located in the Northern part of the Burren region in County Clare. Was known once as "St. Mary of the Fertile Rock” - in addition to the fertile soils of the region.
Abandoned Abbey is famous for its sculptures and other rich and detailed above, which are not often found in structures from this period. This is a typical abandoned Church in the form of a cross, directed to the East, and in each transept (a transversal nave, the nave of the cross) has a little chapel.
The construction of the monastery probably started in the period between 1205 and 1210 year, and to this end were used the local limestone. Legend says that the house was commissioned by king Conor on Siudane Ua Briain, who died in 1267 and whose tomb and the image visible on the North wall of the chancel. According to this legend, Ua Briain was hired to complete the Abbey five masons to prevent the construction of their masterpieces anywhere else. In fact, the monastery was probably built for the grandfather of Connor, Donal Mor Ua Briain (Donald O'brien), who was the patron of many other religious buildings in the region.
In the sixteenth century English reformation led to the dissolution of many Catholic monasteries in England and Irandii. In 1554 the Abbey was granted to the Earl the stadium " Thomond. The circumstances were that the monks could still continue to support the Abbey and the surrounding areas, but very quickly changed the political climate, which led to a further decline. The last rector was the Reverend John O'dea was appointed in 1628. Since that time, the monastery is abandoned and falls into greater disrepair.