Irish Caisleán Bhaile Atha Troim. The largest medieval fortress in Ireland, now in ruins. The fortress was built in 1173 Hugh de Lacy, Lord of Meath, however, in 1174, he was released with the smoke through Rodryga O'connor, king Connachtu.
The castle was used as a control center Norman', which to the lords of the County of Meath, one of the new areas created by the king of England - Henry II. The territory passed into the possession of Hugh de Lacy in the year 1172, who built here a large castle surrounded by double palisadę you threw a moat.
De Lacy will have to leave Ireland and entrusted the castle to Hugh, and Tyrrel, Baron of Castleknock, one of his chief lieutenants. At this time, the fortress was captured and burned by the King of Ireland, Ruaidrí Ua Conchobair. Tyrrel in vain asked for help and was forced to flee. Irish forces quickly retreated and Lucy De ordered immediate restoration of the castle. His son, Walter, continued its expansion and the Fort was finally completed in 1224.
Later the castle very often passed from hand to hand. In the late middle ages the fortress was again in the control center, in the County of Meath and meant the Northern border of the Pile. In the fifteenth century the Irish Parliament met in the castle sieden times. In the XVI and XVII century, the fortress ceased to play an important role on the island, and its status was deteriorated.